The 2005 numbers are out. FNC easily came in first place for the fourth year in a row. CNN was a solid second place. MSNBC eeked out 3rd place over HLN. CNBC was fifth. HLN had the biggest overall gain of all five networks over a year ago thanks to its revamped lineup. CNN and MSNBC sported gains in the Demo while FNC lost viewers. MSNBC lost viewers in the P2+ category in Total Day and Primetime though not by much. It should be noted that MSNBC’s primetime lineup had a hole in it at 9pm which was filled by the low performing The Situation near the middle of the year. It wasn’t until Live and Direct took over that slot after half the year was over that MSNBC’s primetime lineup finally stabilized in the ratings in as much as 9pm wasn’t signficantly lower for it than any other time period as had been the case the first half of the year.
(Numbers are broken down as follows: 2005/2004/difference in percent)
Total Day P2+
Total Day P25-54
FNC 300,000/323,000/ -7%
MSNBC 99,000/96,000/ +3%
TVNewser has an FNC release noting the network’s “shattering” performance in Primetime.
CNN released a pair of Powerpoint slides showing how some news events this year ranked high compared to other events over the last decade in the P 25-54 Demo.
CNN further noted its advances in the P 25-54 Demo over the last year…
The following CNN and Headline News programming are #1 in their time periods for 2005 to-date P2+ and/or P25-54 growth over year ago:
- Among morning programs, CNN’s American Morning 6-10a is #1 in P2+ growth (up 10%), while Headline News’ 6-10a Robin and Company has posted the greatest P25-54 growth (up 15%). [FXNC down 2% in P2+ and P25-54]
- CNN’s year-to-date 3-4p program combination (most recently, Live From) is #1 in P25-54 growth, building by +31%. [FXNC +9%]
- CNN’s year-to-date 4-5p program combination (most recently, The Situation Room) is #1 in P2+ growth (up 11%). [FXNC down -3% in P25-54]
- CNN’s 7-8p hour (currently The Situation Room, but for most of the year Anderson Cooper 360) is #1 in both P2+ (up 36%) and P25-54 (up 35%) growth among cable news programs in the time period (CNBC is up more, but not offering news at this time). [FXNC down -17% P25-54]
- CNN’s Paula Zahn Now 8-9p is #1 in both P2+ (up 29%) and P25-54 (up 43%) growth in the time period - most of any CNN/U.S. program. [FXNC The O’Reilly Factor has lost -18% P25-54].
- Headline News Nancy Grace 8-9p has nearly tripled the P2+ audience (+186%) and grown the P25-54 audience by 136% over year ago.
- Headline News and CNN’s Larry King Live 9-10 p are #1 and #2 in P25-54. Larry King Live up 16%.[FXNC down -12% P25-54]
- CNN’s 10-11p program combination (currently Anderson Cooper 360, but for most of the year NewsNight) is #1 in P25-54 growth, up 26%. [FXNC up 9% P25-54]
- CNN’s 11-12m program combination (Dobbs repeat/NewsNight/AC 360) is #1 in both P2+ (up 31%) and P25-54 (up 35%) growth. [FXNC down -13% P25-54]