MSNBC put out a release noting its August ratings…
MSNBC’s ratings growth continued this summer, as the network delivered the strongest growth of any cable news net in August in total day (M-Sun), weekday primetime (8-11 pm) and in sales primetime (M-Sun 7pm-2am) in both total viewers and the Adult 25-54 demographic, compared to August 06. “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” continued its success for the network, finishing #2 ahead of CNN at 8pm in both A25-54 and total viewers and up an astonishing 55 percent in the A25-54 demo and 67 percent in total viewers compared to last year.
• In Weekday primetime (8-11pm), MSNBC was up an amazing 45 percent in A25-54 (224,000 vs. 155,000) and up 46 percent in total viewers (553,000 vs. 378,000), the strongest growth of any cable news network. MSNBC ranked #1 among the news nets in the Adults 18-34 demographic in Mon-Sun. primetime (78,000), out-delivering CNN by 5,000 A18-34 and FNC by 18,000 A18-34.
• MSNBC was up 14 percent among A25-54 in August (138,000 vs. 121,000) and up 15 percent in total viewers (319,000 vs. 277,000) in Total Day (Mon-Sun), while both CNN and Fox News Channel saw declines. MSNBC tied CNN at #1 for the month in Adults 18-34 (49,000) in total day, out-delivering FNC by 7,000 A18-34.
• In Sales Prime (M-Sun 7pm-2am), MSNBC enjoyed a 32 percent increase in A25-54 (204,000 vs. 154,000) and a 33 percent increase in total viewers (456,000 vs. 344,000), the best increases for any cable news net in this time period.
• “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” (M-F 8pm) continues to gain traction, up an amazing 67 percent in total viewers versus last year (721,000 vs. 431,000) and up 55 percent in the A25-54 demo (259,000 vs. 167,000). “Countdown” beat CNN by a comfortable 17 percent in A25-54, and also enjoyed a three percent advantage in total viewers. Both CNN and FNC saw declines in the A25-54 demo at 8 p.m.
• Both “Tucker” (M-F 6pm) and “Hardball with Chris Matthews” (M-F 7pm) drew more viewers in Aug. 07 than 06, with “Tucker” up 11 percent (248,000 vs. 223,000) and “Hardball” up 10 percent (399,000 vs. 364,000).
• “MSNBC Live with Dan Abrams” (M-Th 9pm) saw an increase of 29 percent in A25-54 (182,000 vs. 141,000) and jumped 27 percent in total viewers (479,000 vs. 377,000) compared to 9pm in Aug. 06, the biggest increase in total viewers for any cable news net.
• MSNBC’s “Doc Block” (10pm-12am M-F) keeps rolling, up 40 percent in A25-54 (238,000 vs. 170,000) and up 35 percent in total viewers (473,000 vs. 351,000) from a year ago.